This is What a Feminist Looks Like: Sandra Bernhard

Posted by Jordan | Posted in , | Posted on 9:04 AM

I recently accepted an internship at Lakeshore Theater in Chicago, IL. While I haven't even technically started yet, the perks have already started appearing. This weekend I was able to see Sandra Bernhard (on Valentine's Day, no doubt) at the Theater where she did four or five shows over the weekend.


I'm actually a pretty big Bernhard fan, considering I've seen every single Roseanne episode ever taped (probably five times.) I knew she was just as crazy and amazing (though much more posh) in real life. She walked onto stage in a Cheetah-print coat and covered in crystals. Her comedy had me in terms, her songs had me smile. She's always been outspoken politcally -- expressing her opinion on what Bush did wrong and on what Obama has yet to do.

She joked that the abortion politics are getting out of hand and that when she was a teenager, getting an abortion was a rite of passage. She said, "We earned those abortions!" It's crazy that we're even having this discussion about abortions again. She spoke about sending her daughter to camp during the summer and how they had begun planning her daughter's Bat Mitzvah. She talked about how her girlfriend was able to sway her from Kabala and how Madonna maybe had even more in common with Michael Jackson than she claimed at the VMAs.

The pinacle of her show was her cover performance of "Circus" in closing the show. Bernhard's comedy was the perfect amount of zshha, jewess, lesbian, offensive and chic to claim me as a huge fan.

(Photo via Sandra's Myspace)

Comments (0)

Post a Comment